Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Documentary Wojnarowicz opened last week on demand and in virtual theaters. The film follows prolific activist and artist David Wojnarowicz, whose work was a direct response to the way the establishment reacted to the AIDS epidemic. He fought against this until his death in 1992, and the documentary offers insight into his life and work. Buy tickets for it here.
2) Kase Peña’s upcoming film Trans Los Angeles has announced the first wave of casting, including trans actress Carmen Carrera and queer actress Stephanie Beatriz in Period, one segment of the anthology film where Carrera plays a trans sex worker who gets a job taking care of a 12-year-old girl.
— NHMC (@NHMC) March 24, 2021
3) Netflix has announced that it will be releasing gay holiday romantic comedy Single All the Way later this year. The film stars out actor Michael Urie as Peter, who lies to his family that he’s dating his best friend Nick (Philemon Chambers), but is then set up with handsome trainer James (out actor Luke McFarlane.) Single All the Way will be directed by out director Michael Mayer.
Cheer is coming. https://t.co/9P6PJUApMV
— Michael Urie (@michaelurie) March 23, 2021
4) ABC has announced the cast of upcoming comedy pilot Bucktown. The show will star out actress Shannon Woodward as Amy, who after being kicked out her apartment and being dumped, goes to stay in a blue-collar with her mom, Helen, played by out actress Jane Lynch. Bucktown comes from producers of The Conners, including out star Sara Gilbert. In more TV news, Batwoman has revealed that the former lead lesbian character of Kate Kane, formerly played by Ruby Rose, is returning to the series, to be played by Wallis Day. Though Kane is returning, Javicia Leslie’s Ryan Wilder still holds the title of Batwoman.
— Shannon Woodward (@shannonwoodward) March 22, 2021
5) Netflix has released the trailer for upcoming animated series Arlo the Alligator Boy. The show, which follows a young alligator on his quest to find his family, includes the voice talents of queer stars Mary Lambert and Jonathan Van Ness. It will be released on Netflix on April 16; watch the trailer below. Netflix has also announced a premiere date for season two of Special, which will be released on the streaming platform on May 20. The second and final season from out producer and star Ryan O’Connell will continue to follow Ryan navigating the world as a gay man with cerebral palsy.
6) A premiere date has been announced for HBO’s A Black Lady Sketch Show, from Robin Thede and out head writer Lauren Ashley Smith. The sketch series will return on April 23. Showtime has announced that The Chi, produced by Lena Waithe and featuring several queer characters, will have its fourth season premiere on May 23, followed by Black Monday, which stars out actor Andrew Rannells.
7) Out creator Ryan Murphy has revealed the upcoming tenth season of American Horror Story, will have the subtitle Double Feature. In other Ryan Murphy news, the casting has been announced for Monster, Murphy’s new series about Jeffrey Dahmer, starring Evan Peters as the titular role, as well as out actress Niecy Nash as Glenda Cleveland, Dahmer’s neighbor who repeatedly reports him to no avail. Several episodes of the series will be written and directed by Janet Mock.
8) Out singer and rapper Lil Nas X released his newest single “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” today, along with a music video. When the GLAAD Media award-winning artist released the song, he posted an Instagram message to his younger self, saying “this will open doors for so many other queer people to simply exist.” Listen to the song here and watch the music video below.
9) Queer singer Kehlani was featured on “At My Worst” a new song by Pink Sweat$. Check out the music video below! Singer/songwriter EVVAN has released a new track, “Home,” the titular song off thier upcoming album Home. Listen to the song here and pre-order the album here! Out trans singer and songwriter Teddy Geiger released a new single and music video “Love Somebody” on Thursday. Watch the video below.
10) Out singer Rosie Tucker announced that they will be releasing a new album, Sucker Supreme on April 30. They also released a new single “Habanero,” with an accompanying video. Watch the video below and pre-order the album here. Duo Man on Man released a new single on Thurdsday, “Stohner” off of their upcoming self-titled album, which will be released on May 7. Listen to “Stohner” here and pre-order Man on Man here.
11) Podcast Homophilia, from out hosts Dave Holmes and Matt Conkey has found a new home under the World of Wonder Podcast Network. The has aired over 200 episodes talking to LGBTQ guests and will continue to do so under the WOW banner starting today.
— Dave Holmes (@DaveHolmes) March 23, 2021