Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Out writer Tanya Saracho is set to adapt her play Mala Hierba and direct it as a feature film for Anonymous Content. The play follows a wealthy trophy wife who begins to question her life decisions as the woman who was her first love re-appears in her life. Out filmmaker Greg Berlanti and producing partner Sara Schechter have signed a deal to create original films with Netflix. The Love, Simon director also has broken the record for having the most TV series on air at the same time.
To say I’m elated is not saying enough. This dream is now reality and that’s
Tanya Saracho Sets Directorial Debut With Anonymous Content @DEADLINE https://t.co/ipqrECL2pH
— Tanya Saracho (@TanyaSaracho) July 7, 2021
2) Out actor Ben Platt has been cast in comedy film The People We Hate at the Wedding, alongside Kristen Bell and Allison Janney. Platt and Bell will play siblings who attend the wedding of their estranged wealthy half-sister, as family secrets are revealed. Out filmmaker Bill Condon is set to direct an new version of musical Guys and Dolls for TriStar Pictures.
— Ben Platt (@BenSPLATT) July 8, 2021
3) A trailer has been released for Ryan Murphy’s upcoming horror anthology series American Horror Stories, where each episode is its own standalone story. The cast includes out actors Matt Bomer, Gavin Creel, Paris Jackson, Dyllón Burnside, Kevin McHale and more. The show will premiere on FX on Hulu July 15; watch the trailer below.
4) Peacock’s Rutherford Falls, which features non-binary actor Jesse Leigh, has been renewed for a second season by the streamer, joining renewals of other inclusive shows Saved by the Bell and Girls 5eva.
5) Out singer Melissa Etheridge released her new single “For the Last Time” on Thursday. The song is off her upcoming album One Way Out, which will be released September 17. Pre-order the album here and stream the new single here!
6) Out singer Courtney Barnett announced her third solo album Things Take Time, Take Time, which will be released on November 12. She also released a single “Rae Street,” this week along with a music video. Pre-order the album here and watch the video for “Rae Street” below.
7) Bi singer Halsey announced a new album “If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power,” which will be released on August 27. Pre-order here! Queer singer Jessy Jones announced a new EP Sad Girl Disco Party, set to be released on August 5. She also released a new single “Crying on the Dancefloor” from the EP. Listen here!
8) Out singer Angel Olson announced a new EP Aisles, where she will be covering 80s songs. On Thursday, she released the first cover, of Laura Branigan’s “Gloria.” Listen here! Out singer Allison Ponthier announced that her debut EP Faking My Own Death will be released on August 6. Pre-order the album here and listen to her new single, “Hell Is A Crowded Room,” here.
9) Out singer Brian Justin Crum has announced a new interactive project Reverie, that will be live next weekend in Los Angeles. The show will feature a slew of performers including drag star Katya Zamolochikova, Vicki Vox, Astor Yang and more! Click here for tickets for those in the LA area and watch the trailer for the event below.