Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) New film Supernova will be released in select theaters today and available on demand starting on February 16. The film follows long time couple Sam (Colin Firth) and Tusker (Stanley Tucci) as they go on a road trip across England to visit old friends after Tusker has been diagnosed with dementia. Click here for more information, and watch the trailer below.
2) A trailer has been released for Flee, a Sundance animated documentary, in which an Afghan refugee tells his story of survival for the past two decades. The film shows the man (known through the pseudonym Amin Mawabi) living an out gay man in Denmark and the past of how he got there. Flee was also picked up for distribution by NEON today. Watch the trailer below.
3) Hari Nef and Ruby Rose have been cast in esports comedy 1Up, about a girl who forms a all-women’s esports league. Rose will be replacing Elliot Page in the role of a mentor and professor of the protagonist. In more casting news, out actress and model Cara Delevingne has been cast in anthology project Women’s Stories alongside actors including Eva Longoria and Marcia Gay Harden, a film of six segments from different women filmmakers telling different stories of different women.
flop era Confirmed over! baby’s first pg-13 https://t.co/8rMZCsuyAL
— hari nef (@harinef) January 27, 2021
4) The trailer has been released for upcoming limited series It’s a Sin, which will premiere in the U.S. on HBO Max on February 18. The show, from out creator Russell T. Davies, follows a group of young queer men who move to London right as the AIDS crisis hits. The show stars out actors Olly Alexander, Neil Patrick Harris, and more. Watch the trailer below. In more TV news, Weakest Link, hosted by out comedian Jane Lynch, has been renewed for a second season by NBC.
5) The first trailer has been released for the fourth and final season of The CW’s Black Lightning. The show features Anissa Pierce, the lesbian superhero known as Thunder as one of the main members of the family hero ensemble. Catch the premiere on February 8 and watch the trailer below. In further news, out actor and comedian Matt Rogers has been cast in Showtime pilot I Love This For You from Vanessa Bayer along with Special’s Punam Patel. Rogers will portray Darcy, “the ingratiating right-hand man to the CEO of a home-shopping network.”
6) A new trailer has been released for season three of Good Trouble. The show features queer characters Gael and Alice and includes storylines of characters fighting for justice. Watch the trailer below and catch the premiere February 17 on Freeform. Out actor Alan Cumming has been cast in the second season of Fox’s Prodigal Son. Cumming will portray as Simon Hoxley, a criminal profiler who is in New York to solve the murder of Nicholas Endicott.
7) Freeform’s The Bold Type has been renewed for a fifth and final six-episode season that will air later in 2021. The show features bi character Kat in a leading role and the final season will re-introduce Adena, her former girlfriend. Watch the announcement video below. Out actor Dan Bucatinsky has been cast for a recurring role on the new drama Rebel, as a university professor who helps the titular Rebel with her legal work.
8) Out writer Lauren Ashley Smith will be the creator of new adaptation of British comedy Timewasters. The American adaptation will follow four Black 20-somethings in New York who find themselves in the 1920s, unequipped to deal with time travel or their new place in the Harlem Renaissance. The show is currently in development at ABC. In more development news, Demi Lovato will be starring and executive producing a new comedy for NBC, Hunger, which focuses on a group of friends with food issues. The show is executive produced by Will and Grace’s Suzanne Martin and Sean Hayes will produce as well.
— Maybe: Lauren Ashley Smith (@msLAS) January 25, 2021
9) Out actor Keke Palmer will host and executive produce a new competition show from Disney+, Foodtastic. The show will feature contestants building Disney inspired art out of food, and will premiere later this year. Queer actress Charmaine Bingwa has been cast as a series regular in the fifth season of Paramount+’s The Good Fight. She will play Carmen, a tough, young, new lawyer who joins the firm.
So excited to share this with you! Can’t wait for you to meet Carmen https://t.co/TOgsyqzLP5
— Charmaine Bingwa (@CharmaineBingwa) January 27, 2021
10) Out bi singer AniDiFranco released a new album today Revolutionary Love. Listen to the album here. Out singer Rebecca Black has released a new single “Girlfriend,” where she sings about going back to a girlfriend. Listen here. Nasty Cherry, which includes Charli XCX and out drummer Debbie Knox-Hewson, has released a new single, “Lucky.” Listen to the song here and watch the video below.