Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Documentary Julia Scotti: Funny That Way is available for purchase now. The film follows stand-up comedian Julia Scotti, who gained success in the 80s before transitioning at the age of 47. The film delves into Julia stepping out on stage again after 15 years, reuniting with her family, and her growth as a comic and person. Click here to watch the film!
2) Out filmmaker Todd Haynes has a new film heading to Cannes, May December, which stars Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman. The film follows a former tabloid couple where the wife was 23 years older than the husband, and how they react when an actress set to play the wife spends time with the family. In more film news, out actor Ben Whishaw has been cast in upcoming film Women Talking, based on the novel of the same name, also starring Frances McDormand, Rooney Mara, Claire Foy and more.
Todd Haynes is looking at a busy Cannes. Not only is the filmmaker debuting his new doc “The Velvet Underground,” he’s also reuniting with Julianne Moore and directing Natalie Portman for the first time in #MayDecember: https://t.co/HVDlZUqJm4 pic.twitter.com/xILsPDkENq
— IndieWire (@IndieWire) June 12, 2021
3) A trailer has been released for the fourth and final season of Netflix’s Atypical. The show will continue to delve into the relationship between queer characters Casey and Izzie and the different ways they relate to their parents. The show will be released on July 9. Peacock’s Girls5eva, which features out actress Paula Pell as lesbian character Gloria in the main ensemble, has been renewed for a second season by the streamer. HBO Max’s ballroom competition series Legendary has also been renewed for a third season.
4) Out actor Vincent Rodriguez III had been cast in With Love, the new Amazon series from Gloria Calderón Kellett. Rodriguez will play Henry, the boyfriend of main character Jorge Diaz (Mark Indelicato), who is the first man that Jorge has brought home to meet his family. Out actor Harvey Guillén has been cast in Reacher, a new series from Amazon based on the Jack Reacher novels. Guillén will play Jasper, the medical examiner of town Margrave who is overwhelmed by a sudden burst of murders.
5) Vice News announced that they have a new digital series Transnational, which is hosted by trans storytellers and delves into those fighting to stop the violence against Black trans women in Detroit, a shelter for trans sex workers in Mexico City, and England’s attacks on gender-affirming healthcare. The show will premiere on June 24. Out author and journalist Ronan Farrow’s book Catch and Kill will be being made into a docuseries for HBO. The series, executive produced by out producers Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato, will recreate Farrow’s interviews for his investigation into the sexual assaults of Harvey Weinstein.
6) NOW With Fiona, an unscripted series from out bisexual filmmaker Fiona Dawson, is available to watch as part of ATX Festival until June 20. The episode follows Katie Del Castillo, a trans woman from Honduras seeking asylum and shows how her story can inspire others. It is available for ATX badge holders to screen here, and there will be virtual screenings introduced by GLAAD’s own Sarah Kate Ellis.
7) Trans rapper and musician Mykki Blanco released her new album Broken Hearts and Beauty Sleep today. Listen to the album here and her single “It’s Not My Choice” featuring out singer Blood Orange here. Singer Alus has released a new single “Wig!” for Pride Month, featuring out gay rapper Cakes da Killa. Stream the song here and watch the music video below.
8) Out singer Rebecca Black released her new EP Rebecca Black Was Here on Wednesday. Listen here! Non-binary singer Kat Cunning has released a music video for their single “Boys,” which celebratates the transmasculine experience. The cast and crew involved in the video are all trans or non-binary as well. Stream “Boys” here and watch the video below.
9) Queer Indigenous singer Jayli Wolf released her debut EP Wild Whisper today. Stream the album here! Out singer Mint Simon released their single “Some of Everything” on Thursday along with an accompanying music video. Stream the song here and watch the video here! Out signer Diana DeMuth released a music video for her song “Photographs,” about the last goodbye with a woman she was in love with. The song is off her debut album Misadventure, which is available to stream here; watch the music video below.
10) Miley Cyrus has announced a concert she will host for Pride on Peacock, Miley Cyrus Presents Stand By You. Cyrus will be performing her own music as well as beloved classics and feature other artists including out country star Orville Peck. The special will air June 25. Disney+ also announced a Pride concert hosted by drag queen Nina West, and featuring performers such as Hayley Kiyoko, Todrick Hall, Alex Newell and more! It will be released on June 27.
11) Queer original podcast Hot White Heist released its first episodes on Thursday. The show, from out creator Adam Goldman, directed by Alan Cumming starring Bowen Yang along with a powerhouse of LGBTQ performers, follows a heist to help a lesbian cult rob a sperm bank. Listen to the first two episodes here
Hot White Heist is available now on Audible! It's so queer, so fun, so exactly what you need in your life. This cast – they simply can't be beat. Enjoy!https://t.co/weNgn7XEy7
— Adam Goldman (@theadamgoldman) June 17, 2021