Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Documentary No Ordinary Man will be released in theaters in New York and Los Angeles today, before opening in further cities in the coming weeks. This groundbreaking film tells the history of Billy Tipton, a transgender man and successful jazz musician. The movie uses trans storytellers to set his legacy straight on this trailblazer for trans history. To see when the film is coming to your city and to buy tickets, click here.
2) Documentary Pray Away, from producer Ryan Murphy, has released its first trailer. The film follows Exodus United, a group of people practicing so-called conversation therapy, and how former members over the years have disavowed the organization. Pray Away will be released on Netflix August 3; watch the trailer below.
3) A new trailer has been released for Joe Bell, the true story that follows a father on his walk across America in a tribute to his gay son Jadin, who died by suicide. The film will premiere in theaters on July 23; watch the trailer below. Queer actor Amandla Stenberg will be voicing the lead role in upcoming animated film Ozi. The film follows, Ozi, a teenage orangutan whose home burns down in the Indonesian rainforest. The cast also includes RuPaul, Laura Dern, Donald Sutherland and more.
4) Horror comic Something Is Killing the Children from out writer James Tynion IV is set to be adapted to a series by Netflix, by The Haunting producers Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy. The series, following a monster hunter set to help a town where something mysterious is killing children. It also includes queer character James, a lone young survivor of these attacks. In more TV news, Paramount+’s iCarly, which features bisexual character Harper, was renewed for a second season by the streamer.
WHAT’S THIS, NOW?! https://t.co/vFpGGYMdMZ
— James Tynion IV (@JamesTheFourth) July 9, 2021
5) HBO Max has announced that comedy The Other Two will premiere its second season on the streamer on August 26. The show was previously on Comedy Central and features lead gay character Cary and is from out created Chris Kelly. A trailer has been released for the upcoming episodes of Billions, which will finish the fifth season. The show features non-binary actor Asia Kate Dillon as Taylor Mason, a key player in recent seasons. Billions will return September 5.
6) A trailer for the third season of Roswell, New Mexico has been released. The show, which features queer characters Michael and Alex, will begin its third season on July 26 on The CW. Watch the teaser below. Showtime pilot I Love This For You, from and starring Vanessa Bayer, has been picked up to series. The show will also star out actor Matt Rogers, along with Molly Shannon, Punam Patel and more.
7) A teaser and premiere date has been released for Diary of a Future President. The show, which includes queer characters Camila and Bobby, will release its second season on Disney Plus August 18; watch the teaser below. In other Disney+ news, the streamer has renewed Marvel series Loki for a second season. The show recently confirmed the bisexuality of the title character.
8) Queer performer Lilly Singh has been cast in the second season of Hulu’s Dollface as a queer bar owner who opens a business and begins a relationship with character Stella. Out actor Rutina Wesley has been cast in DMZ, the upcoming DC series for HBO Max. The show takes place in a future where Manhattan is a demilitarized zone in a civil war, and Wesley will play Athena, a power broker that no one has heard of. Out actor Murray Bartlett has been cast in the upcoming HBO adaptation of popular video game The Last of Us. He will portray Frank, a survivalist who lives in an isolated town.
— Naughty Dog (@Naughty_Dog) July 15, 2021
9) Queer singer Willow released her new album Lately, I Feel Everything today. Listen to the album here! Tony and The Kiki, a band including non-binary musicians Anthony Alfaro and Max Vernon, released a new single “Light it Up” for International Non-Binary Peoples’ Day. Listen here!
10) Out singer and actor Ben Platt has announced a new album Reverie which will be released on August 13. Pre-order the album here. He also released single “Happy to be Sad”!