Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Netflix’s animated family film The Mitchells Vs. The Machines was released on the streaming platform today. The film follows the family Mitchells as they have to fight against robots taking over the planet, while also healing their own relationships. The teen daughter Katie is voiced by out actress Abbi Jacobson and is queer herself. The film is available on Netflix now; watch the trailer below.
2) The official trailer has been released for Port Authority, a film following a young man who gets kicked out of his Pennsylvania home and goes to New York with no plans. There, he meets Wye, a trans woman of color, played by Leyna Bloom, and the two begin to develop feelings for one another. The film will be released in theaters on May 28, and on demand June 1.
3) Sony Pictures Classics has acquired the rights for the upcoming film from out director Pedro Almodóvar, Parallel Mothers, which will follow the lives of three different mothers, played by Penelope Cruz, Aitana Sánchez Gijón, and Milena Smit. Out writer and comedian Travon Free has signed a producing deal with Endeavor Content, shortly after his Oscar win last weekend for his short film Two Distant Strangers. Free will be producing original work for Endeavor.
Some great stuff already cooking here https://t.co/ZNIawN3Z3W
— Travon Free (@Travon) April 27, 2021
4) The trailer has been released for the second and final season of Special, Ryan O’Connell’s show, starring himself as a gay man navigating the world with Cerebral Palsy. The second season of the comedy will be released on the streaming service on May 20. In more Netflix news, Gentefied has announced new characters to appear on the shows upcoming second season. This includes Clarissa Thibeaux as Bree Solano, “a successful, queer advertising executive, specializing in finding emerging artists.”
5) The trailer has been released for the third season of Master of None, which will focus on lesbian character Denise, played by out actor and director Lena Waithe, who also had a significant role behind the scenes. Watch the trailer below. In more TV news, Yasmin Finney, the young Black trans woman who was just cast in Billy Porter’s, What If?, will also be featured in Heartstoppers, a new Netflix series based on the queer YA graphic novel of the same name. Netflix has announced that Halston, the limited series that follows famous gay designer Roy Halston, will be released on May 14. The show is executive produced by Ryan Murphy and stars Ewan McGregor as the titular role.
6) HBO has released the trailer for the second season of their comedy Betty, which follows a group of skateboarder girls in New York, several of them queer. The season will premiere in June; watch the trailer below. HBO Max’s Gossip Girl reboot has announced that it will be premiering in July. The show has been set to have a more modern and diverse ensemble that the CW original, with the creator stating there would be more queer characters, and trans actress Zion Moreno having a leading role in the cast.
7) Out actress Niecy Nash has been tapped to host the upcoming reboot of Don’t Forget the Lyrics! On Fox, where contestants have a chance to win money, depending on how well they remember the words to songs. In casting news, out actress Taylor Schilling has been cast in the upcoming Hulu limited series Pam & Tommy, which follow the release of the sex tape between Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee. Schiling will play Erica, a porn star and wife of Rand, the man who stole the tape. Out actor Gideon Glick has been cast to recur on the upcoming fourth season of Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. His role is as yet unknown.
Can’t wait! https://t.co/kMPj4Kjk1u
— Niecy Nash (@NiecyNash) April 28, 2021
8) Out singer Willow smith released a new single “Transparent Soul,” featuring Blink-182’s Travis Barker on the drums. Stream the pop punk song here and watch the video below. Non-binary and pansexual singer EVVAN released their new EP “Home” today. Stream the album, which focuses on exploring their identity, here.
9) Singer and drag queen Trixie Mattel released an EP of covers today, appropriately titled “Full Coverage Vol. 1.” One of the tracks is a cover of Johnny Cash’s “Jackson” featuring fellow out country singer Orville Peck. Stream the EP here and watch the video below. Band The Aces, which features multiple queer members, released their newest single “Don’t Freak” today. Listen to the song here!
10) Out lesbian singer Hayley Kiyoko released a new single and music video today “Found My Friends.” Stream the song here and watch the music video below. Out singer Greyson Chance released the music video for his new single “Hellboy” on Wednesday. The track is off of his new EP Trophies, which will be released on June 25. Listen to “Hellboy” here and watch the music video here!
11) Out singer Miley Cyrus released a new music video “Without You” with single with The Kid Laroi. Stream the song here and watch the music video below. Out singer Lauren Jauregui released a new song “Temporary” to support Sound It Out, an organization encouraging kids to talk about mental health. Listen to the song here. Out singer Matt Palmer has released a new single “I Don’t Want It,” off of his upcoming EP The Good Parts. Listen to the single here.
12) Out singer wrabel released a new single and music video today, “good.” Stream the song here and watch the video below! Out rapper Snow Tha Product released a new single “Never Be Me” on Monday. Stream the song here, and watch the video here. In podcast news, The Read, the podcast hosted by out comedians Crissle and King Fury, is getting a comedy album from Issa Rae’s record label, Raedio.