Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Netflix’s I Care a Lot hits the streaming platform today. The dark comedy follows Marla Grayson (Rosamond Pike), who has set up a scam to reap money from the elderly and wealthy, joined by her partner in crime and girlfriend Fran (Eiza Gonzálaz). Things start to go south though when a new client Jennifer (Dianne Wiest) proves to be less of an easy target. The film is available on Netflix; watch the trailer below.
2) The trailer has been released for festival favorite dark comedy Shiva Baby, which follows bisexual lead Danielle (Rachel Sennott), as she attends a Shiva with her family, and has encounters with her ex Maya (Molly Gordon), as well as her current Sugar Daddy and his wife. The film will be available on demand on April 2; watch the trailer below.
3) Out playwright and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom director George C. Wolfe has been tapped to direct the upcoming film Rustin, a biopic of gay civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who organized the 1963 March on Washington. The project, from Netflix and the Obamas’ Higher Ground Productions, will have out screenwriter Dustin Lance Black as a producer as well.
George C. Wolfe to Direct ‘Rustin’ for the Obamas’ Higher Ground Productions and Netflix https://t.co/znJYdbMZre
— Variety (@Variety) February 11, 2021
4) Good Deed Entertainment has bought the rights to Sundance film Ma Belle, My Beauty. The film takes place in France and is a queer polyamorous story between Lane (Hannah Pepper), Bertie (Idella Johnson) and Fred (Lucien Guignard).
We’ve acquired the brilliant MA BELLE, MY BEAUTY So excited to work with this team and share this film!!! pic.twitter.com/RCWr91BEqT
— GDE (@GoodDeedEnt) February 18, 2021
5) Out actress Keke Palmer has been cast in an upcoming film from Get Out and Us director Jordan Peele. Details about the project are being kept secret at this time, but it is set to be released in July of 2022.
Jordan Peele Taps Keke Palmer To Star in The Director’s New Secret Project https://t.co/PCEcCITQji
— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) February 16, 2021
6) Alexandra Grey, an actress and trans woman has been cast in a recurring role on MacGyver as Parker, a Phoenix engineer who is a trans woman, and has been tapped to provide assistance to the MacGyver team. Her arc will begin on March 12.
— Alexandra Grey (@1alexandragrey) February 18, 2021
7) A teaser trailer has been released for upcoming Peacock comedy Girls5eva, which follows the reunion of a girl band from the 90s, starring Sara Bareilles, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Busy Philipps, and out comedian Paula Pell as a lesbian character. Watch the trailer below.
8) Drag Race has announced that next Friday, they will air a documentary special RuPaul’s Drag Race: Corona Can’t Keep a Good Queen Down, which will document the ups and downs of filming this season during the COVID-19 pandemic. It will air on February 26, 8pm on VH1.
9) Out musician Big Freedia released a new track “Platinum” last week. Listen here and watch the visualizer below! Queer rapper Syd also released a new track “Missing Out” last week. Listen to the track here.
10) Man on Man, a new duo composed of out musicians Joey Holman and Roddy Bottom, have released their first single “1983.” Watch the music video below and pre-order the upcoming Man on Man album here.