GLAAD has announced the first ever Spirit Day chess tournament, in partnership with Chess.com. There will be 2 chess tournaments on Thursday October, 19 @ 8AM PT/11AM ET and 5PM PT/8 PM ET for Spirit Day, sending a message of support for queer youth from the chess community.
And you’re invited!
Spirit Day is the world’s most visible LGBTQ anti-bullying campaign. Since its inception in 2010, GLAAD has organized with thousands of celebrities, influential voices, news & media outlets, tv & film studios, brands & corporations, landmarks, sports leagues, tech leaders, influencers, faith groups and so many more to go purple and support LGBTQ youth by creating clear possibility models for them to thrive and be represented in the world we live and do business in.
Chess.com is the world’s largest chess platform, with millions of daily users from all over the world. In 2022, they crossed the milestone of 100,000,000 users. They have routinely platformed and supported charity events on their website.
Here’s how to join:
- Participants must have a chess.com account. You can create an account for free, or you can pay for one with more perks. Here’s the link to make an account.
- Once you have an account, you must join the Community Club at chess.com. Please be sure you have joined the correct club otherwise you cannot participate in the tournament. Click here to join.
- Once you have joined the club, 2 tournaments will be displayed starting an hour before their respective start times. You can also see the event under “upcoming events” before it starts, and under “current events” once it begins.
- Each event will be an arena format, and will be 2 hours long each.
- The time control will be 3 minutes with 1 second increment.
- Prizes have been donated for the top finishers in various rating categories. For beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert level players. More info on prizes TBA.