GLAAD’s Anthony Allen Ramos chats with queer historian and Executive Producer, Eric Cervini about his new five part series on Discovery+ The Book of Queer which premieres June 2.
WATCH THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE:
The five-episode series, celebrating and recognizing the incredible history of the LGBTQ+ community, will be narrated by notable queer game changers including Dominique Jackson (“Pose”), Leslie Jordan (“American Horror Story,” “Will & Grace”), Ross Mathews (“The Drew Barrymore Show” and “RuPaul’s Drag Race”), Alex Newell (“Glee”) and previously announced Margart Cho (“The Flight Attendant,” “Fire Island”). The socially impactful series will be supported by an entirely queer ensemble cast, recreating some of history’s most notable moments, and over a dozen scholars of queer history. Capping off each episode, an original song and music video will be performed by queer artists including Betty Who, VINCINT, Shawnee Kish, Mila Jam and Kaleena Zanders.
The series cast includes:
- Performers: Miss Vanjie, GOTTMIK, Kim, Chi, Chris Olsen, Tell Williams, Rob Anderson, Riley Westling, Alejandra Cejudo, Bennie Oldham, Donzell Lewis, Nikcoma Lee Mahkewa, Griffin Kelly, Jasmine Raphael, Dennis Renard, Nate Timmerman, Jill Bennett, Ryan Symantel, Gracie Cartier, Bri Giger, Marval Rex, Marlon Meikle, Ashlei Shyne, Sayrie, Juliana Joel, Lina Green, Sheena Georges and Eliza Blair
- Historians: Prof. Susan Stryker, Prof. Lillian Faderman, Prof. Jenn Jackson, Blair Imani, Prof. Michael Young, Prof. Stephanie Larson, Kevin Quin, Miriam Kamil, LZ Granderson, Prof. Mar Hicks, Prof. Kara Cooney, Souksavanh Keovorabouth, Dr. Christine Axen, Prof. Thomas Balcerski, Prof. Gary Ferguson, Prof. David Green
Each episode will pull the rainbow curtain back on a variety of historical figures:
- Episode #1 “Kings & Queens,” featuring stories about Abraham Lincoln, Eleanor Roosevelt, Akhenaten and Bayard Rustin. Narrated by Alex Newell. Premieres June 2, 2022.
- Episode #2 “Sashay It Forward,” featuring stories about Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Ma Rainey, Alan Turing, Sally Ride and Lynn Conway. Narrated by Margaret Cho. Premieres June 9, 2022.
- Episode #3 “Queens’ Work Makes the Team Work,” featuring stories about The Sacred Band of Thebes, Alexander the Great, Glenn Burke, the Rainbow Flag, Gilbert Baker, Harvey Milk and José Sarria. Narrated by Ross Mathews. Premieres June 16, 2022.
- Episode #4 “Gay to Z,” featuring stories about King James, Sappho, We’Wha and Harry Allen. Narrated by Leslie Jordan. Premieres June 23, 2022.
- Episode #5 “Pride or Die,” featuring stories about Josephine Baker, Joan of Arc, Stormé DeLarverie, Sylvia Rivera and Marsha P. Johnson. Narrated by Dominique Jackson. Premieres June 30, 2022.
Don’t miss The Book of Queer, available to stream only on Discovery+ starting June 2.