Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Outfest LA has announced their lineup for their 39th film festival, which will take place August 13-22, with both in person screenings and options to stream the films online. Some highlights from this year’s lineup include Everybody’s Talking About Jamie on Opening Night, Fanny: The Right To Rock on Closing Night, and The Novice and Being Bebe as Centerpieces. See the full lineup and buy tickets here!
2) The trailer has been released for Language Lessons, the upcoming film from out director Natalie Morales. The film stars Morales and Mark Duplass as a man whose husband gives him Spanish lessons, and after tragedy strikes, develops an emotional bond with his Spanish teacher (Morales.) Watch the trailer below! In more film news, Focus Features has greenlit the film adaptation of Michael Ausiello’s Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies, which follows Ausiello (Jim Parsons) and his relationship with his husband Kit (Ben Aldridge), who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away almost a year later.
3) The trailer has been released for The J Team, the new movie from Paramount+ with out star Jojo Siwa. In the movie, Jojo gets kicked off her dance team and forms a new one that celebrates everyone’s individuality. The film will be streaming September 3. Lionsgate and Buzzfeed have announced a new upcoming film My Fake Boyfriend, which will star out actor Keiynan Lonsdale as a man who creates a fake boyfriend on social media to keep his ex away. But thinks get complicated when a new love interest enters his world. The film will also star Dylan Sprouse and Sarah Hyland.
4) Out comedian Julio Torres has been set to write, direct and star in a new A24 film. The comedy will also star Tilda Swinton and be produced by Emma Stone and Dave McCary. Out comedian Tig Notaro has been cast in We Have a Ghost, a Netflix adaptation of a short story, Ernest, which follows a family who discover a ghost and begin to exploit it for fame. Out comedian Margaret Cho has been cast in Fire Island, the upcoming film starring Bowen Yang and Joel Kim Booster. She will play a homeowner and host on the island. Hulu and American High have announced a new feature film Love in Color in development. The film follows an artist who is forced to join the track team, and finds herself falling for another girl on the team. The film will be produced by Maya Rudolph and Natasha Lyonne.
Oh no big deal. Just icons doing icon shit. https://t.co/000fkPQi2P
— Joel Kim Booster (@ihatejoelkim) July 28, 2021
5) Netflix has ordered the adult animated comedy Chicago Party Aunt. The show stars out actor Rory O’Malley as Daniel, a gay teen who take gap year to live with his Aunt Diane (Lauren Ash) in Chicago, who helps him come out of his shell. In more TV news, out actress Emily Hampshire will co-write, executive produce, and play the lead in a TBS reboot of Normal Lear’s Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Hampshire will play a small town woman who becomes famous after her nervous breakdown goes viral on social media.
I can’t wait for you to meet my @ChiPartyAunt! On Sept 17th, grab some deep dish, put on your Bulls jersey and binge this HILARIOUS show on @netflix! Starring @lauren_ash @RuPaul @JillTalleyho @ikebarinholtz @JonBarinholtz @Chriswitaske @katiemaryrich @DaVineJoy!! https://t.co/mgBiZSFxiG
— Rory O’Malley (@RoryOMalley) July 27, 2021
6) In casting news, Birdie Silverstein, Busy Phillips’ child who is non-binary, was cast in the upcoming Amazon series With Love from Gloria Calderon Kellett. The show follows two siblings, one of whom is gay, as they navigate love life and their family. Batwoman will be introducing queer character Renee Montoya into the show’s upcoming third season. Victoria Cartagena, who portrayed Montoya in Gotham, will be reprising the role of the former police officer in Batwoman. Out actor Ben Platt is one of the many to be cast in upcoming anthology series The Premise from B.J. Novak. In the episode, also starring Tracee Ellis Ross and Ayo Edebiri, Platt’s character finds evidence of police violence in the background of his sex tape, which could end up saving a life.
This just made me cry https://t.co/tJZprDUudh
— Busy Philipps (@BusyPhilipps) July 22, 2021
7) A teaser has been released for the upcoming final batch of episodes of The CW’s Supergirl. The series, which introduced TV’s first trans superhero Nia Naal, will return on August 24; watch the trailer below. Hulu has renewed comedy Love, Victor for a third season. The first two seasons are currently streaming on the platform.
8) Last Friday, Lil Nas X released a new single “Industry Baby” with Jack Harlow, as well as an accompanying music video. Stream the song here and watch the video below. Out singer Brandi Carlile released a new song and video “Right on Time,” from her upcoming album These Silent Days, which will be out October 1. Pre-order the album here, and watch the video for “Right on Time” here.
9) Halsey has released a trailer for her album and film I Don’t Want Love, I Want Power, which will be released on August 27. Click here to pre-save the album and here for information on how to see it in IMAX. Out singer wrabel and Duncan Laurence have released a new track together “back to back.” Stream the song here and watch the video here!
10) Out singer Syd released a new song and video “Fast Car,” last week. Stream the song here and watch the video below! Out singer Orville Peck has announced his “Drive Me, Crazy” tour, hitting the Midwest and East Coast. Tickets are on sale today, check to see if he is coming to your city here!
11) Out singer Kenna released a new song and video “wing roots” which she shot with her girlfriend. Listen to the song here and watch the video here! Jackie Lipson released a new song “Bully” last week, which calls out the inner bully living in her own head. Listen to the song here and watch the video below!