Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Hulu has announced that they will be releasing documentary Changing the Game on June 1st. The film, produced by GLAAD’s own Alex Schmider, follows three transgender teenage athletes – Mack, a wrestler from Texas, Sarah, a skier from New Hampshire, and Andraya, a track star from Connecticut – throughout their athletic seasons and personal lives as trans teens.
— alex schmider (@anderfinn) April 15, 2021
2) Out YouTube star Jojo Siwa has been tapped to star in upcoming film Bounce, based on the YA novel of the same name. Siwa will play a girl who wishes she could trade her family for a new one and bounces between new families on Christmas Day. It will be directed by To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’s Susan Jones. In more film news, the first trailer had been released for upcoming Netflix film Army of the Dead. Among the cast is out comedian Tig Notaro, who plays one of those planning a heist during the zombie apocalypse. The film will be released on Netflix on May 21.
3) Yasmin Finney, an actress and trans woman has been cast in upcoming feature What If?, the directorial debut from out actor Billy Porter. Finney will play the character of Kelsa, a trans teenager in the film that was featured on the 2019 GLAAD List. In more casting news, Out actor James Cusati-Moyer has been cast in upcoming DC film Black Adam which stars Dwayne Johnson as the titular role. The movie also includes non-binary actor Quintessa Swindell in its already announced cast.
After a worldwide search, Yasmin Finney has been cast in WHAT IF?, a 2019 #GLAADList and 2020 Black List script by Alvaro Garcia Lecuona! WHAT IF? is set to be helmed by @theebillyporter in his directorial debut for @OrionPictures – cheers all around!https://t.co/D1ITV6VdEM
— The Black List (@theblcklst) April 12, 2021
4) Out The Kids Are Alright filmmaker Lisa Cholodenko is set to direct the upcoming Hulu series The Girl From Plainville. The series, based on a true story, stars Elle Fanning as Michelle Carter, who is on trial for the death of her boyfriend. Out God’s Own Country and Ammonite filmmaker Francis Lee has announced a new project with actor Josh O’Connor. Details are mostly unknown of the film, except that it will be a horror film with queer themes, set in the 20th century.
"Unbelievable" and "The Kids Are All Right" director Lisa Cholodenko has been tapped to helm the first two episodes of Elle Fanning’s @hulu drama "The Girl from Plainville." Production begins later this year. pic.twitter.com/AKhxKKO7UQ
— IndieWire (@IndieWire) April 14, 2021
5) The trailer has been released for season three of Hulu’s Shrill. The final season continues to include several queer characters, including Patti Harrison as protagonist Annie’s sardonic coworker, Ruthie, and Annie’s roommate Fran, who is entering a new relationship. Shrill will be released on Hulu on May 7.
6) A trailer has been released for the second season of Apple TV+’s Mythic Quest. The comedy, following a group of video game developers, includes a romance between queer game testers Dana and Rachel. Watch the trailer below, and check out season two on May 7. In more TV news, a premiere date has been set for the upcoming fourth season of Netflix’s Élite, which features several queer characters, including fan favorite couple Ander and Omar. The season will be released on June 18 on the streamer.
7) Freeform is developing a new series Trap Queen from Miguel Nolla and Danny Strong. The show follows a gay man who returns to Puerto Rico after a life event, and figures out his family and love life in the Puerto Rican music scene. ABC has picked up Hungry, a pilot starring and produced by out singer Demi Lovato, to series. The show follows a group of friends with food issues as they navigate their lives.
Freeform On Board For Danny Strong EP’d Puerto Rico-Set ‘Trap Queen’ From ‘Scandal’ Scribe Miguel Nolla https://t.co/Zrm2DDIDzp
— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) April 12, 2021
8) Out singer Rina Sawayama has released a new version of her song “Chosen Family” with Elton John accompanying her. Listen to the track here and watch this music video below. Queer artist Simone Istwa released their new single “So Sure,” this week, with an accompanying music video. The single is off of their upcoming EP Heart. Stream the song here and watch the music video here!
9) Queer singer Lucy Dacus has released a new single and video for her track “Hot and Heavy,” which will be on her just announced album Home Video, out June 25. Pre-order the album here and watch the music video below. Out artist girl in red released a new track on Wednesday, “you stupid bitch.” Listen to the single here!
10) Years and Years, aka out performer Olly Alexander, has a released a music video for his new single “Starstruck,” off of his upcoming album. Watch the video below! Out singer Troye Sivan is featured on a new track “You” in collaboration with Regard and Tate McCrae. Listen to the song here!