Resources for Transgender People
Transgender people in crisis should contact the following resources:
- The Trevor Project‘s 24/7/365 Lifeline at 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) or TrevorChat, their online instant messaging option, or TrevorText, a text-based support option. If you are looking for peer support, you can visit TrevorSpace from anywhere in the world.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860
- Do you live outside the United States? If so, check out The Trevor Project’s list of international resources here.
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) (advocacy)
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) (legal services)
- Transgender Law Center (TLC) (legal services and advocacy)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) (legal services)
- Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC) (advocacy)
- Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) (advocacy)
- Black Trans Advocacy (advocacy)
- Trans Latina Coalition (advocacy)
- Gender Spectrum (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Gender Diversity and TransFamilies (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Trans Youth Equality Federation (support for families and trans youth)
- TransTech Social Enterprises (economic empowerment)
- SPART*A (advocacy for trans military service members)
- Transgender American Veterans Association (advocacy for trans veterans)
- TransAthlete.com (info about trans athletes)
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) (advocacy)
- TransLife Center at Chicago House (support services)
- Trans Doe Task Force (legal services)
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
- GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program (media advocacy)
- Freedom for All Americans (policy and legislative advocacy)
- PFLAG Our Trans Loved Ones (support for families of people who are trans)
- PFLAG Transgender Resources (resources for trans people and their families)
- PFLAG’s Transgender Ally campaign (advocacy)
- COLAGE Kids of Trans Community (support for kids of trans parents)
- The Task Force’s Transgender Civil Rights Project (advocacy)
- HRC’s transgender resources (advocacy)
- Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center (support services)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) (legal services)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) Transgender Rights Project (legal services)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights – Transgender Law (legal services)
- L.A. LGBT Center’s Transgender Economic Empowerment Project (economic empowerment)
- SF Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative (economic empowerment)
- TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project (advocacy)
General Information and Resources
- The 2015 U.S. Trans Survey is the largest survery of transgender people ever conducted. The data has also been broken down by race, ethnicity, and geography. The survey’s results detail the extent of the poverty, discrimination, and violence faced by transgender people. The results are also available in Spanish.
- Transgender Lives: Your Stories is an interactive campaign created by The New York Times to allow transgender people to tell their own stories in their own words..
Know of a resource that might be added to this page? Contact GLAAD’s Transgender Media Program.
Learn more about transgender people and the issues important to them
If you are a media professional working on a story, please check out GLAAD’s resources for covering transgender people in the media.
GLAAD’s Work on Transgender Issues
Learn about the work GLAAD does everyday to ensure transgender people are treated fairly in the media.
Tips for Allies
Learn more about how to be an ally to transgender people
If you see defamation of transgender people in the media, we encourage you to report it now.
Check out a list of resources for transgender people and their allies.