- WATCH: “RuPaul’s Drag Race” queens embrace their roots and celebrate Latine Heritage Month and LGBTQ Herstory Month
- Let Freedom Read! In the Wake of Sobering Reports, Beloved Icon Leads Call for Action at Annual Event
- Election 2024: Candidates Ignore LGBTQ Issues in the Second GOP Primary Debate
- “Jeopardy!” Champion Amy Schneider Announces New Memoir “In the Form of a Question”
- Maren Morris Announces Queer Artists Adam Mac and Shea Couleé to Join Chicago Show
- Toronto International Film Festival: ‘Dicks: The Musical’, ‘Lil Nas X: Long Live Montero’ ‘Next Goal Wins’, ‘Rustin’, ‘Close To You’ Among LGBTQ Standouts At TIFF
- “Schitt’s Creek’s” Emily Hampshire Competes on Celebrity Jeopardy to Raise Money for GLAAD!
- WATCH: The “Dancing with the Stars” Cast Shows their Support for LGBTQ People at Season 32 Premiere
Senator Mike Lee’s Anti-LGBTQ Activism Threatens Safety & Well-Being of Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Survivors
- Last updated: May 24, 2023
GLAAD calls on Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to hold EEOC confirmation vote from the full U.S. Senate
NEW YORK – GLAAD, the world’s largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, today emphatically condemned U.S. Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah) for putting the safety and well-being of many Americans – including numerous LGBTQ people – who experience sexual harassment or discrimination at the workplace on the back burner so he could pursue his anti-LGBTQ activism by threatening to block Chai Feldblum’s nomination to serve another term on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
“Senator Mike Lee’s opposition to Commissioner Feldblum is not based on merit, but rather an opposition based who she is and how she doesn’t align with the Senator’s anti-LGBTQ beliefs. Senator Lee’s open discrimination against Commissioner Feldblum is exactly why people like her belong on the EEOC,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, President and CEO of GLAAD. “With many Americans seeking justice after surviving discrimination and sexual harassment in the workplace, it’s imperative that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell force a Senate-wide vote and confirm Chai Feldblum. One anti-LGBTQ activist should not silence many people seeking justice under the law.”
The EEOC is comprised of five individuals, three who represent the party of the White House and two who are in the minority, who issue guidance on workplace discrimination and help many people who experience discrimination (and even sexual harassment) seek justice by helping those individuals file complaints in court. According to Vox, nominees are typically lumped together and are agreed upon in a fast-track, bipartisan basis. Senator Lee’s opposition not only bucks tradition, but could grind all sexual harassment or discrimination complaints to a halt in 2019 should the nominations of Feldblum and two Republicans fall short.
Senator Lee issued a statement earlier this year citing his opposition to Feldblum, saying the commissioner wants to “use the might of government to stamp out traditional marriage supporters.” However, Lee’s anti-LGBTQ activism runs years long. Between opposing historic LGBTQ moments like nationwide marriage equality and the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” Senator Lee has made it clear he wants to silence LGBTQ Americans and rollback decades of hard-fought acceptance. For more on Senator Lee’s anti-LGBTQ activism, see below.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION: U.S. Senator Mike Lee’s Horrendous Anti-LGBTQ Record
· Extreme anti-LGBTQ politician who strongly opposed marriage equality, opposed repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, voted against the Employment Nondiscrimination Act, and sponsored legislation allowing anti-LGBTQ people and organizations to deny goods and services to LGBTQ people without retaliation.
· Believed employers have right to fire employees because they are gay.
· Knocked Costa Rica’s efforts to legalize marriage equality.
· Reintroduced the so-called “First Amendment Defense Act” in the 2018 legislative session, yet another attempt to undermine marriage equality and provide a license to discriminate to those who oppose.
· Fearmongered on far-right media about the supposed threats that marriage equality would bring to churches and religious people.
· “Strongly disagreed” with the Supreme Court’s power to “change marriage,” calling it “a big problem.”
About GLAAD: GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, please visit www.glaad.org or connect with GLAAD on Facebook and Twitter.
For GLAAD Media Institute Alum Kevin Anderson, interviews with journalists have become increasingly prevalent in…