- Personal Essay: Actress, Filmmaker Sarah Ann Masse on Coming Out as Bisexual and Her Fight to Clean Up a Toxic Hollywood (Exclusive)
- Peacock’s “The Traitors” is Back for a Star-Studded Season 2 Featuring Peppermint!
- GLAAD Co-Hosts Drag Brunch to Celebrate the Premiere of Prime Video’s “Cassandro”
- ‘Karamo’ To “Embrace The Mess” In Season 2; Show Host Talks Telling Stories With Respect And Empathy
- Unregistered LGBTQ Voters–We Need You
- ‘Cassandro’ Director Roger Ross Williams Talks Joy Of Real-Life Saúl Armendáriz, Queer Representation And Authenticity
- HeadCount is Leading National Voter Registration Day Across the Nation
- GLAAD Celebrates Latine Heritage with Laughter
Highlights: Rosie O’Donnell Presents the Vito Russo Award to Bill Porter at 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards
- Last updated: May 24, 2023
NEW YORK, Saturday, May 6, 2017 – GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 20 of this year's 32 media categories at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards presented by Delta Air Lines, Hilton, Ketel One Vodka, Liberty Mutual Insurance, and Wells Fargo at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York City on Saturday night.
A complete press release with additional quotes from award recipients will be posted by 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 7, 2017 at glaad.org/mediaawards.
At the event, celebrities sported blue “&” pins for GLAAD’s Together movement – representing GLAAD’s work on intersectional issues including immigration, racial justice, women’s rights, and LGBTQ acceptance. This subtle yet powerful symbol represents the power of solidarity and great accomplishments that occur when marginalized community groups – including women, Muslims, immigrants, and LGBTQ people – resist together.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
- Excellence in Media Award: Debra Messing [Presented by: Andrew Rannells]
- Vito Russo Award: Billy Porter [Presented by: Rosie O’Donnell]
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: "Angelica Ross" The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Comedy Central) [accepted by: Trevor Noah, Angelica Ross]
- Outstanding Reality Program: Strut (Oxygen) [accepted by: executive producer Whoopi Goldberg, and cast members Cecilio “CeCe” Asuncion, Laith De La Cruz, Dominique Jackson, Isis King, Ren Spriggs, Arisce Wanzer]
- Outstanding Documentary: Southwest of Salem: The Story of the San Antonio Four (Investigation Discovery) [accepted by: Kristie Mayhugh, Elizabeth Ramirez, Cassandra Rivera, Anna Vasquez, and director Deborah Esquenazi and producer Sam Tabet]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York:
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "Church and States" VICE on HBO (HBO)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Gay Community in U.S. ‘Forged in Fire’” The Rachel Maddow Show (MSNBC)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Permission to Hate” by Elizabeth Leland (The Charlotte Observer)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: “HIV Mystery: Solved?” by Tim Murphy (The Nation)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: Teen Vogue
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “After the Orlando Shooting, the Changed Lives of Gay Latinos” by Daniel Wenger (NewYorker.com)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia: "Unerased: Counting Transgender Lives" by Meredith Talusan and Mic staff (Mic.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Tegan and Sara, Love You to Death (Warner Bros. Records.)
- Outstanding Blog: Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters (holybulliesandheadlessmonsters.blogspot.com)
- Outstanding Daytime Program Episode: "Las lesbianitas" Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Television Interview: "Entrevista con Congresista Ileana Ros-Lehtinen y su hijo Rodrigo Lehtinen" Al Punto (Univision)
- Outstanding Local TV Interview: "Aceptación" Sobre Todos los Géneros (Mira TV [Miami])
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: “Masacre Orlando” Conclusiones (CNN en Español)
- Outstanding TV Journalism-Newsmagazine: “Siempre fui Xander” Aquí y Ahora (Univision)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism-Multimedia: “Conmovedor video retrata el prejuicio en Puerto Rico" por Marcos Billy Guzmán, Teresa Canino, Adlín González (elnuevodia.com)
GLAAD previously announced that it was acknowledging two web series, Her Story (HerStoryShow.com) and We’ve Been Around (WeveBeenAround.com), and music video "Sin Ir Más Lejos" by Gema Corredera, with Special Recognition Awards.
Several award recipients were previously announced at the Los Angeles event on April 1 at the Beverly Hilton, where GLAAD also presented the Vanguard Award to Patricia Arquette and the Stephen F. Kolzak Award to Troye Sivan:
- Outstanding Film – Wide Release: Moonlight (A24)
- Outstanding Drama Series: Shadowhunters (Freeform)
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Transparent (Amazon)
- Outstanding Film – Limited Release: Other People (Vertical Entertainment)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series: Eyewitness (USA Network)
- Outstanding Individual Episode: "San Junipero" Black Mirror (Netflix)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: The Bold and The Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Comic Book: The Woods, written by James Tynion IV (BOOM! Studios)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Kany García, Limonada (Sony Music Latin)
- Outstanding Local TV Journalism: "A la calle por quien soy" Noticias 34 (KMEX-Univision 34 [Los Ángeles])
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Las discretas batallas LGBTI ganadas en Guatemala" by Sonia Pérez D. (Associated Press)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "6 mujeres transgénero exitosas que rompen moldes en América Latina" by Leire Ventas (BBCMundo.com)
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD's work to amplify stories from the LGBTQ community that build support for equality. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
About GLAAD: GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, please visit www.glaad.org or connect with GLAAD on Facebook and Twitter.
For GLAAD Media Institute Alum Kevin Anderson, interviews with journalists have become increasingly prevalent in…