- EXCLUSIVE: Inside the production of ABC News’ GLAAD award-winning franchise for queer storytelling in primetime
- Supporting Queer Joy: The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and Decades of Dedication to Community Service
- Book Bans Cannot Stand: Organizing to Defeat Book Bans in Your Community
- Trixie Mattel Covers RuPaul, Gives Back To the LGBTQ+ Community with New Single/EP
- ‘Weakest Link’: Scarlet Envy, Olivia Lux And More Get Competitive And Shady On Drag Queen Edition Of Trivia Game Show
- Aloy is Queer: How Horizon Burning Shores overcame one of gaming’s worst tropes
- GLAAD EXCLUSIVE: Watch a Sneak Peek of Tonight’s “Dragstravaganza” on NBC’s “The Weakest Link”
- Must-See LGBTQ TV: ‘The Idol’ and ‘The Crowded Room’ debut and ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’, ‘Human Resources’, ‘Never Have I Ever’ and ‘Cruel Summer’ return this week!
LEADING LGBTQ+ ADVOCACY ORGANIZATIONS RAISE THE ALARM TO BUSINESS COMMUNITY ON COORDINATED ANTI-LGBTQ+ ATTACKS; CALL ON TARGET TO LEAD
- Updated: May 26, 2023
Recent pushback against businesses such as Anheuser-Busch and Target, blatantly organized by extremist groups, serves as a wake up call for all businesses that support the LGBTQ+ community. We’ve seen this extremist playbook of attacks before. Their goal is clear: to prevent LGBTQ+ inclusion and representation, silence our allies and make our community invisible. These attacks fuel hate against LGBTQ+ people, just as we’ve seen this year with more than 500 anti-LGBTQ+ bills that restrict basic freedoms and aim to erase LGBTQ+ people.
Extremist attacks and harassment of businesses for standing in solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community and values of diversity, equity and inclusion have challenged Target, and businesses more broadly, to lead – to demonstrate they mean what they say when investing in and standing with LGBTQ+ people, creatives, and organizations. Businesses must continue to lead and respond with unwavering support for LGBTQ+ employees, shareholders, customers, allies – and the broader community. When values of diversity, equity and inclusion are tested, business must defend them unequivocally.
Doubling down on your values is not only the right thing to do, it’s good for business. Research shows that if a brand publicly supports and demonstrates a commitment to expanding and protecting LGBTQ+ rights, Americans are 2x more likely to buy or use the brand. Americans ages 18-34 are 5.5x more likely to want to work at a company if it publicly supports and demonstrates a commitment to expanding and protecting LGBTQ+ rights.
It isn’t just LGBTQ+ consumers and communities: 70% of non-LGBTQ+ people believe companies should publicly support and include the LGBTQ+ community through practices like hiring, advertising and sponsorships (Accelerating Acceptance, 2023).
At this moment, it’s critical that Target champions equity and inclusion as it has for over a decade. Target consistently tops the list for brands that show genuine, authentic support of the LGBTQ+ community through outreach and policies. Target received recognition for outstanding commitment to DEI from the Executive Leadership Council in 2022. It’s time to prove the recognition was earned.
When it comes to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion, there is no such thing as neutrality.
We’re calling on Target to:
- release a public statement in the next 24 hours reaffirming their commitment to the LGBTQ+ community
- put Pride merchandise back on the sales floor and online in full
- ensure safety of team members who are on the front lines
Target, and all businesses, can leverage the support of LGBTQ+ organizations to navigate this hate, so that together, we can let extremists know unequivocally that, just as with every other failed anti-LGBTQ+ campaign of the past, fear will not win.
Organizations calling on Target, and all businesses to stand up against anti-LGBTQ+? extremism:
The Human Rights Campaign
National Center For Lesbian Rights
National LGBTQ Task Force
National Black Justice Coalition
About GLAAD: GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, please visit www.glaad.org or connect with GLAAD on Facebook and Twitter.
A brand-new app is on the market for gay, bi, and queer men on the…