Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) The period drama You Can Live Forever has released a first-look trailer ahead of its premiere this weekend at the Tribeca Festival. In both French and English, the film follows gay teen Jaime, who is sent to live with her devout Jehovah’s Witness family and forms an unlikely bond with Marike, daughter of a prominent Witness Elder. Once their romance is discovered, the community moves to separate the pair, forcing them to choose between faith and love. Check out the trailer below! In more Tribeca Festival news, out star Matt Bomer will narrate the documentary All Man: The International Male Story. The film chronicles the rise of iconic men’s fashion catalog International Male, and its influence on masculinity and gay rights over the course of three decades. Watch the teaser trailer here!
2) The Sundance award-winning documentary Framing Agnes has been set for a North American theatrical release in December, 2022 by Kino Lorber. Directed by out filmmaker Chase Joynt, the film explores how transgender people have been perceived and represented in the past and present. Agnes, a pseudonym for a young trans woman, participated in a gender health and sex disorder study at UCLA in the 1950’s in order to acquire gender-affirming care, by any means necessary. After discovering a multitude of similar case files in 2017, a cast of transgender actors– including Angelica Ross, Jen Richards, Zackary Drucker, Silas Howard, Max Wolf Valerio, and Stephen Ira– bring to life groundbreaking artifacts of transgender healthcare.
— Chase Joynt (@ChaseJoynt) June 3, 2022
3) Netflix has released Stand Out: An LGBTQ+ Celebration Special, the largest-ever gathering of LGBTQ comics in a stand-up special, hosted by out icon Billy Eichner with intros by out stars Sarah Paulson, Lily Tomlin, Ani DiFranco and Rosie. Out comedians include Joel Kim Booster, Mae Martin, Tig Notaro, Trixie Mattel, and more; watch the special on the streamer now! Additionally, Netflix has announced Stand Out: The Documentary, which combines original performances, interviews, archival materials and backstage footage to examine the history of LGBTQ stand-up comedy. Executive produced by out comedian Wanda Sykes, the film explores the importance of stand-up as an instrument for social change and activism over the past five decades. In other documentary news, 13th Gen and Grativas Ventures have released Baloney, a behind-the-scenes documentary about San Francisco’s only gay all-male burlesque troupe. Through interviews, rehearsal footage, and filmed performances, Baloney offers humor and insight into the modern struggles of coming out, dating, masculinity, sex work, and mental health. Watch the documentary today on Amazon Video, AppleTV and more!
Stand Out: An LGBTQ+ Celebration — the largest-ever gathering of LGBTQ+ comics in a stand-up special — is now on Netflix! @billyeichner hosts the comedy extravaganza with intros by @MsSarahPaulson @LilyTomlin @rosie & @anidifranco! Plus, sets from these incredible comedians: pic.twitter.com/eFmzA5AdVg
— Netflix (@netflix) June 9, 2022
4) Out actress Emily Hampshire has been set to star in the film Bloody Hell, alongside Maddie Ziegler. The coming-of-age “traumedy” following Lindy (Ziegler), who is diagnosed with a reproductive condition that alters her plans to have sex and her relationship with womanhood and her mother (Hampshire).
Maddie Ziegler & ‘Schitt’s Creek’ Star Emily Hampshire To Lead ‘Bloody Hell’, Coming-Of-Age “Traumedy” From ‘Mary Goes Round’ Director Molly McGlynn https://t.co/qoOL25SDkh
— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) June 7, 2022
5) Freeform has released the official season three trailer of Motherland: Fort Salem, featuring the popular queer couple Raelle and Scylla as well as non-binary actor Ess Hödlmoser as soldier, M. Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution over 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the government, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped in the series; check out the trailer below and watch the final season of Motherland: Fort Salem June 21 on Freeform, or stream it the next day on Hulu. In other TV trailer news, Amazon has released the first teaser trailer for the series adaptation of A League of Their Own, inspired by Penny Marshall’s beloved 1992 classic film. The teaser introuduces a new generation of women professional baseball teammates, while taking a deeper look at race and sexuality. Out series creators Abbi Jacobson and Gbemisola Ikumelo are among the series stars, as well as out actress Roberta Colindrez and more. Watch the trailer here!
6) Apple TV+ has released the official trailer for the workplace comedy Loot. Loot centers on billionaire Molly Novak (Maya Rudolph), whose life of luxury is dismantled when she discovers that her husband of twenty years has cheated on her. After a very public, tabloid-fuelled breakdown, a charity foundation run by the no-nonsense Sofia (out Pose star Michaela Jaé Rodriguez) offers to help Molly reconnect with the real world. With her loyal assistant Nicholas (out Fire Island star Joel Kim Booster) by her side, Molly embarks on a journey of self-discovery. Loot premieres with the first three episodes on Friday, June 24, and new episodes will debut weekly on the streamer. Check out the trailer below! In more TV trailer news, Netflix has released a sneak peek of Stranger Things season four volume two, featuring lesbian character Robin Buckley. The critically acclaimed story continues July 1; watch the teaser here!
7) FX has renewed the vampire comedy What We Do In The Shadows for fifth and sixth seasons. The show follows the nightly exploits of queer vampire roommates, with the help of their human friend Guillermo, played by out actor Harvey Guillén. Watch the premiere of season four 10:00 p.m. Tuesday, July 12 on FX or the next day on Hulu. In other TV news, ITV has announced a new celebrity drag competition series Queen for the Night, judged by Spice Girl Mel C, comedian Rob Beckett and out drag superstar Courtney Act. Celebrity contestants include out Love Island star Chris Hughes and UK TV icon Mr Motivator, who will be mentored by out drag stars such as RuPaul’s Drag Race favorites Blu Hydrangea and Kitty Scott-Claus. Additionally, out actress and filmmaker Kristen Stewart and celebrity hairstylist C.J. Romero have announced a partnership with Scout Productions for an upcoming queer ghost hunting show; watch the announcement video and casting call below!
8) Out star Demi Lovato has announced their upcoming rock album Holy Fvck, set for release August 19; pre-save the album now and watch the trailer below! In other music news, LGBTQ singer-songwriter and pianist Stefano May has released a Burning Man Festival inspired song “False Horizon”; listen and watch the music video here. Queer alt pop artist Tessa Kaye has released her single “Girl, I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend”; check it out here. Additionally, out country singer-songwriter Brooke Eden has released a new debut single “Left You For Me”, off her forthcoming EP Choosing You, out July 29; listen here and presave Choosing You here. Queer musician and composer FELIX III has also released his new video for the song “The Sounds I Make”; listen and watch the music video here!
9) Transgender CEO, actress, singer-songwriter, and human rights advocate Angelica Ross has released her latest single “ONLY YOU”, alongside an accompanying music video; listen here and watch the video below! In addition, out singer-songwriter Cat Burns and multi-award-winning artist Sam Smith have teamed up for a special rendition of Cat’s viral single “go”; stream it here. Queer indie rock artist Kat Hamilton has released a new single “F*** YOU YOU F***ING F***”, off her forthcoming EP I Wish This Was A Love Story; listen here. In more music news, queer singer-songwriter Jake Lancer has released a love letter to the LGBTQ community in his new single “Supernova”; stream it here. Queer goth rock/pop artist POSEY has also released her new track “Multiply” and accompying video; listen and watch here! Lastly, out singer-songwriter and TV host Lord F has released a new single and lyric video entitled “Better Days”. Stream the song here and watch the lyric video here!
10) The winners from the MTV Movie & TV Awards 2022 have been announced. LGBTQ-inclusive standouts include, Euphoria (Best Show, Best Fight, Best Performance in a Show, Here for the Hookup, Best Song), Loki (Best Team, Breakthrough Performance), Heartstopper (Best Musical Moment- “Dance With Me”), and RuPaul’s Drag Race (Best Competition Series, Best Fight-Unscripted). In more award show news, the winners have been announced for this year’s Inside Out 2SLGBTQ+ Film Festival, Canada’s largest queer film festival. Winners include We Will Never Belong (Best Narrative Feature), Gateways Grind (Best Documentary Film), How Not To Date While Trans (Best Short Film), Save the Date (Emerging Canadian Artist– Director, Bria McLaughlin), Thot or Not (Best Canadian Short), Out in the Ring (Best Canadian Feature), and Homebody (Best First Feature– Director, Joseph Sackett). Additionally, the 2022 Peabody Award winners have been announced, including LGBTQ-inclusive programs City of Ghosts, My Name is Pauli Murray, Hacks, Sort Of, Mr Soul, Dopesick, Transnational (Vice), We Are Lady Parts and Reservation Dogs.
Sort Of is a big-hearted comedy series that speaks to transition in a brilliantly tender portrait of a nonbinary millennial.
— Peabody Awards (@PeabodyAwards) June 7, 2022