Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Language Lessons, the film directed by and starring out actress Natalie Morales, has been picked up for US Distribution by Shout! Studios. The film tells the story of Adam (Mark Duplass), a man whose husband has given him a year of Spanish lessons, but when an unexpected tragedy happens, Adam forms a friendship with his Spanish teacher, Cariño (Morales).
— Natalie Morales (@nataliemorales) March 23, 2021
2) Out talent Margaret Cho, Rebecca Henderson, and Paris Jackson have been cast in Sex Appeal, and upcoming Hulu teen comedy, which follows a girl who does an extensive research when she plans on taking her relationship with her boyfriend to the next level. In more casting. news, out actor Amandla Stenberg has been cast in Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, an upcoming thriller from A24, whose details are still being kept under wraps.
.@margaretcho joins the cast of @Hulu’s SEX APPEAL! https://t.co/rJJbYWZ2Ya
— CAPE—Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment (@CAPEUSA) April 5, 2021
3) Out Shiva Baby filmmaker Emma Seligman has set a new project with Rachel Sennott, who also starred in the film. The new project is a teen comedy, Bottoms, about two unpopular queer girls who start a fight club to have sex before their high school graduation. Seligman has also set to write and direct a new pilot for HBO, Sugar, which will follow sugar babies, who are financially helped by older men.
#EmmaSeligman and Rachel Sennott (@Rachel_Sennott) are set to co-write their next feature (!!!!!!!!!) https://t.co/StatNDIxsV
— them. (@them) April 7, 2021
4) A trailer has been released for the third and final season of FX’s Pose. The groundbreaking and show and double GLAAD Media Award-recipient continues to tell the story of the queer and trans community of color in the ballroom space and how that space has changed over the years. Watch the trailer below and catch the season three premiere May 2 on FX.
5) A new teaser has been released for the upcoming fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery. The GLAAD Media Award-recipient stars out actors Anthony Rapp, Wilson Cruz, and Ian Alexander, all as LGBTQ characters. Watch the teaser below, and catch season four later this year on Paramount+. In more TV news, out actress Natalie Morales will be one of the leads in upcoming comedy pilot How to Be Successful Without Hurting Men’s Feelings. Morales is one of three women having to deal with men’s antics in the workplace, playing Joanna, “a conflict-averse, people-pleasing middle manager.”
6) A new trailer came out for season two of Disney+’s High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. The new season shows the students doing Beauty and the Beast, and includes queer characters Carlos and Seb. It will be released on the streaming platform on May 14. Freeform has announced the premiere date for the final season of The Bold Type, which will air on May 26. The show includes bi character Kat in the main trio, as well as other queer characters in the ensemble.
7) A trailer has been released for Peacock’s upcoming comedy Girls5eva, which follows a girl group from the 90s reuniting now that they are all older and have their own lives. One of the members of the group is Gloria, a lesbian played by out comedian Paula Pell. Watch the trailer below and catch the premiere May 6 on Peacock. Peacock has also ordered a new adaptation of Queer as Folk from out creator Stephen Dunn. The show will follow a group of friends in New Orleans whose lives are transformed by a tragedy.
8) Apple TV+ has announced a special episode of comedy series Mythic Quest on April 16, which follows all of the game developers adjusting to life back in the audience. The second season, which premieres on May 7, will continue to follow the group including the blossoming romance between queer video game testers Rachel and Dana.
9) Years and Years, now the solo project of out singer Olly Alexander released a new single on Thursday, “Starstruck.” Listen to the track here! Queer, Vietnamese artist LEADR has release a new music video for his single “Hi, I’m Human,” which will be on his upcoming debut LP. Stream the song here and watch the music video below.
10) Non-binary singer Kat Cunning released their new single “Could Be Good” today along with a homemade music video. They also announced their upcoming debut EP Idol Hands, out July 16 Listen to “Could Be Good” here and watch the music video below.