Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) A trailer has been released of My Name is Pauli Murray, a documentary that follows the titular queer activist. Both Pauli’s personal path and tireless advocacy foreshadowed some of the most politically consequential issues of our time. Told largely in Pauli’s own words, My Name is Pauli Murray is a candid recounting of that unique and extraordinary journey. The documentary will premiere on October 1 on Amazon.
2) Out actors and comedians Joel Kim Booster and Bowen Yang are set to star in Fire Island, a romantic comedy written by Booster described as a modern Pride and Prejudice set on Fire Island. The film will be directed by out Spa Night filmmaker Andrew Ahn, and be released on Hulu in the US.
I am canonically vers and I’m making a movie. We do exist. https://t.co/HNn9eKtWZE
— Joel Kim Booster (@ihatejoelkim) June 30, 2021
3) Out actor Roberta Colindrez has been cast in upcoming Amazon film Cassandro. The film follows a gay wrestler in Mexico who rises to fame and upends the wrestling world and his personal life. Colindrez will play his best friend who helps him find community. A teaser has been released for the upcoming adaptation of Cinderella from Sony and Amazon. The film includes out actor Billy Porter in the cast, playing the fairy godmother role. The film will be released on September 3; watch the trailer below.
4) The trailer for the second season of Work in Progress was released this week. The show, created by Abby McEnany, Tim Mason, and Lilly Wachowski, will delve into Abby’s life after her break up with Chris, and delve into COVID-19 and the murder of George Floyd. It will premiere on Showtime on August 22; watch the trailer below. In more TV news, Joel Kim Booster has been cast in the upcoming untitled Apple TV comedy which stars Maya Rudolph as well as Mj Rodriguez.
5) The trailer for the second season of The L Word: Generation Q was released on Wednesday. The show continues to follow the group of queer friends in Los Angeles with their relationship drama. Watch the trailer below and catch season two on Showtime on August 8. Out filmmaker Andrew Haigh is set to adapt Let The Record Show by Sarah Schulman, a documentation of ACT Up, and the political history of HIV and AIDS. Haigh will adapt the book as a narrative TV series.
6) Out actor BD Wong is set to make his directorial debut in the second season of Awkwafina is Nora from Queens. Wong stars in the show alongside a cast that includes Bowen Yang. The second season will premiere on August 18; watch the trailer below. Out actress Ali Stroker has been cast in a guest role in the fourth season of Netflix’s Ozark. Stroker will play Charles-Ann, and old friend of Ruth’s mother.
7) A trailer has been released for the fourth season of Freeform’s grown-ish, which follows the group of college friends, including bisexual character Nomi, as they navigate senior. Watch the trailer below and catch the premiere on July 8. Roku has set a season date for the upcoming The Demi Lovato show, the talk show from the queer singer. The show will premiere July 30 and feature Lovato covering topics such as feminism, gender identity, and activism with various guests.
8) Out singer Greyson Chance released his album Trophies last Friday. Listen here! Out singer kd lang released a new remix of her song “Miss Chatelaine” with out country singer Orville Peck last week. Listen to “Miss Chatelain (Iron Hoof Remix)” here! Macy Rodman, trans artist and singer, released a new single and video “Love Me!” on Thursday. She also announced her new album Unimaginable Animals, which will be released on August 27. Listen to “Love Me!” here and watch the music video below.
9) A trailer has been released for the new stand up special from out comedian Tig Notaro. The special, Drawn, will be the first fully animated special on HBO, with several different animation styles demonstrating Notaro’s set. It will be air July 24 on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.
10) Studio71 announced that out beauty creator Manny Mua will launch a podcast under their banner. Mua’s podcast with Laura Lee will be called Fool Coverage and launch this summer. The studio will also launch The Faking Of with Nick DiRamio, a podcast from Jinkx Monsoon and Nick Sahoyah, and The Bald and the Beautiful with drag queens Trixie Mattel and Katya Zamolodchikova.