Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Netflix has released the official trailer for Single All The Way. The gay holiday romantic comedy is directed by out producer Michael Mayer and stars out actor Michael Urie as Peter. Peter convinces his best friend Nick (Philemon Chambers) to pretend to be his boyfriend in the hopes of avoiding his parents’ judgement regarding his single status. When Peter’s mom sets him up on a blind date with her handsome trainer, James, the plan goes awry. Watch the film on December 2 and check out the trailer below!
2) Out High School Musical: The Musical: The Series star Joshua Bassett joins the cast of the Disney+ film Better Nate Than Ever. The musical comedy centers on 13 year-old Pittsburgher, Nate Foster (Rueby Wood), who sneaks off to a major musical audition in New York City with his friend Libby (Aria Brooks) after not being cast in their school musical. Bassett will play Nate’s older brother, Anthony. The film will be written and produced by out award-winning author and screenwriter Tim Federle.
Chase your dreams & be a star Better Nate Than Ever, an Original Movie streaming on #DisneyPlus in Spring 2022, stars Aria Brooks, Michelle Federer, introducing Rueby Wood as Nate, Norbert Leo Butz, Lisa Kudrow, & Joshua Bassett as Nate’s big brother, Anthony! #DisneyPlusDay pic.twitter.com/gGrAztfJIU
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) November 12, 2021
3) Out Emmy-nominated actor Julio Torres has announced his feature directorial debut for A24 and Emma Stone’s Fruit Tree. Joining the cast is Torres’s Los Espookys co-star, out actor Spike Einbinder.
Casting madlib of dreamshttps://t.co/pTaRBVed9p
— A24 (@A24) November 11, 2021
4) HBO Max has released a teaser for its Sex and the City revival And Just Like That…. The series will follow the original trio– out actress and activist Cynthia Nixon, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kristin Davis– as they explore the even more complicated reality of life and friendship in their 50s. Among the cast are queer actors Sara Ramirez and Mario Cantone. Watch the series premiere December 9 and check out the teaser below!
5) Out actor and activist Marquise Vilsón has been set for a major recurring role in Amazon’s A League of Their Own, a reimagining of Penny Marshall’s 1992 film. The series will take a deeper look at race and sexuality, following the real-life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
6) HBO Max has set a return date for the second half of season one of Gossip Girl. The reboot features queer actors Jordan Alexander, Zion Moreno, Jason Gotay and John Benjamin Hickey and queer characters Akeno “Aki”, Monet, Max, Rafa, Gideon and Roy. Gossip Girl will premiere on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25. Stream part one on HBO Max today and watch the official trailer for part two below!
7) Out Tony Award-winning actress Cherry Jones has joined the cast of the star-studded climate change drama Extrapolations. The Apple TV+ eight-episode series will tell intimate, unanticipated stories about how the upcoming changes to the planet will affect love, faith, work, and family.
Edward Norton, Keri Russell Board Apple Climate Change Series ‘Extrapolations’ https://t.co/bq6QaoFvk1
— The Hollywood Reporter (@THR) November 8, 2021
8) Synchronicity Films has announced plans to develop a scripted miniseries based off of the forthcoming non-fiction book “The Hidden Case of Ewan Forbes: The Transgender Trial that Threatened to Upend the British Establishment”. The book explores the real life story of Aberdonian doctor, farmer, and baronet, Ewan Forbes-Sempill, who in 1952 changed the sex on his birth certificate in order to marry the love of his life, Isabella “Patty” Mitchell. The series The Hidden Case of Ewan Forbes will be written by BAFTA-winning transgender writer Sukey Fisher. Fisher will utilize extensive research from the novel of the same name by Zoë Playdon, an Emeritus Professor of Medical Humanities a the University of London and former co-chair of the Gay and Lesbian Association of Doctors and Dentitsts.
The Cry producer Synchronicity Films has optioned the forthcoming non-fiction book, #TheHiddenCaseOfEwanForbes: The Transgender Trial that Threatened to Upend the British Establishment, with plans to develop a scripted miniseries @Variety https://t.co/DtqthN7VHl
— Scribner (@ScribnerBooks) November 4, 2021
9) Queer songwriter and producer G Flip (Georgia Flipo) has released their new single “Scream ft. Upsahl” via Future Classic. Stream here and check out the official music video below! Also, queer music icon Bitch has released a new single entitled “Easy Target”, written with Melissa York alongside a video directed by Joey Soloway. Stream the song here and watch the music video here!
10) Out singer-songwriter Miles Fancis has announced their new album Good Man, out March 4, debuting the video for title track “Good Man”. Stream the song here and watch the music video below! In other music news, queer pop artist Clinton has announced the release of his debut EP, Embarrasing. Listen here and watch the official music video on November 19.