Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) A trailer has been released for Benedetta, an upcoming Cannes selected film, which follows Sister Benedetta, a nun who can perform miracles, and begins to have erotic visions of another nun, and the two begin a secretive relationship. Watch the trailer below.
2) The trailer has been released for the final season of Freeform’s The Bold Type, which will return for its last six episodes of May 26. In the trailer, all three main characters figure out their next steps in life, as bi character Kat reunites with her ex, Adena, and sees a potential future there. HBO has announced an adaptation of E. Lynn Harris’ Invisible Life novels. The books, first published in 1991, follow a young Black man coming of age and realizing his own sexuality. The series will be adapted by out playwright Harrison David Rivers.
3) Young Adult novel They Both Die at the End, from out author Adam Silvera, will be adapted for televsion. The novel, the first YA novel with queer Latinx leads to reach number one, tells the stories of two boys who meet on their nast night to live. Queer music duo Tegan and Sara have announced that their memoir High School will be adapted as a series for IMDb TV, to be executive produced by out filmmaker Clea DuVall. The show will be, “a transcendent story of first loves and first songs.”
I’m adapting #TheyBothDieAtTheEnd for TV as the creator, screenwriter, and executive producer. Legit dream!! Long road ahead, but Mateo and Rufus’s story has always been about meaningful journeys—I’m ready to go bring my “Before Sunrise meets Black Mirror” series to life. https://t.co/sUtUalBnqA
— ADAM (@AdamSilvera) May 6, 2021
4) Out journalist and Good Morning America host Robin Roberts has announced a new series she is hosting for Disney+. In the show, “Turning the Tables,” Roberts sits down for intimate conversations with different women. E! has ordered a new reunion series, Reunion Roadtrip, where the stars of shows get back together and share memories. This include the cast of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.
Excited to reveal a @disneyplus project I’ve been working on with my production company @rocknrobintv & @KingJames‘ @TheSpringHillCo. I’m sitting down with incredible women in our new series Turning The Tables for intimate conversations. Can’t wait to share a sneak peek next @GMA pic.twitter.com/dNaUBAaWjC
— Robin Roberts (@RobinRoberts) May 6, 2021
5) Snapchat has announced several new original shows for their 2021 slate. One of them, entitled “Coming Out,” follows six people on their journeys of coming out to friends and family, with the support of YouTube beauty creator Manny Mua.
6) Queer singer dodie released her debut studio album today. The album, Build a Problem, is available to stream and download here. She also released a music video for track “Question,” off the album; watch it below.
7) Out singer Matt Palmer has released a new single and video for “I Don’t Want It,” off of his EP The Good Parts, which will be released on May 28. Stream the single here and watch the video below. Non-binary artist Plexxxaglass has released a new single, “Lillith,” a song dedicated to those of all genders and sexualities. Stream the track here.
8) Out comedian Tig Notaro will be getting a new HBO special, Drawn, which is set to be fully animated. It will be the first fully animated hour of stand-up comedy, and premiere this summer.
9) The nominees have been announced for the 2021 Peabody Awards. Some LGBTQ-inclusive contenders include The Owl House in Children’s and Youth; Crip Camp, Disclosure, and Welcome to Chechnya in Documentary; Euphoria Special: Part 1: Rue ‘Trouble Don’t Last Always,’ Gentefied, I May Destroy You, Never Have I Ever, and Unorthodox in Entertainment. See the full list of nominees here.