Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Sony Pictures Classics’ I Carry You With Me opens today in New York and LA. The GLAAD Media Award-nominated film follows the romance between two men in Mexico and how their journey takes them to New York, and their love story survives the realities of being gay immigrants in this country. Watch the trailer below, and check out the film this weekend and as it expands to further cities.
2) The trailer has been released for Joe Bell, the upcoming film starring Mark Wahlberg and Reid Miller, which follows a father walking across the country to raise awareness of anti-LGBTQ bullying after his son’s death. The film will be in theaters July 23; watch the trailer below. In more film news, out actor Brandon Flynn has been cast in experimental indie film Who Am I? from filmmaker Johanna Block.
3) The first trailer has been released for Netflix’s Q-Force, the upcoming animated adult comedy following a group of queer superheroes. The show includes LGBTQ talent Wanda Sykes, Sean Hayes, Patti Harrison, and Matt Rogers. Watch the trailer below and catch the show on Netflix September 2.
4) A trailer has been released for season two of Netflix’s Never Have I Ever, which features lesbian character Fabiola in the ensemble. The show will be released on July 15; watch the trailer below! Netflix has also announced a season three return date for Sex Education, which will continue to include queer characters Eric and Adam, as well as introducing a non-binary character to the series. Season three will be released on September 17.
5) Out actor and comedian Wanda Sykes has been cast in season five of The Good Fight. Sykes will play Allegra Durado, an attorney who has been writing a book for the last decade. Out Feel Good star and creator Mae Martin has signed a deal with production company Objective Fiction. They are working together on a new Netflix series Programmed, which will be a drama for the streamer.
6) Out writer Dustin Lance Black will be adapting novel Under the Banner of Heaven for Hulu, a series that will star Andrew Garfield and Daisy Edgar Jones, and follows a detective whose faith is questioned. Out producer Greg Berlanti will be producing an adaptation of novel For Your Own Good with Robert Downey Jr. at HBO Max. The novel will be released next month.
Andrew Garfield, Daisy Edgar-Jones to Star in FX on Hulu Series ‘Under the Banner of Heaven’ From Dustin Lance Black https://t.co/KKilw35Our
— Variety (@Variety) June 24, 2021
7) Lady Gaga released Born This Way: The Tenth Anniversary today, celebrating a decade since her iconic album. In addition to her songs, the album includes covers of her music from queer artists including Big Freedia, The Highwomen, Ben Platt, Years and Years, and Orville Peck. Stream the album here. Out singer Shea Diamond released a new music video and single “Smile” last Friday. Watch the video below!
8) Queer singer Lucy Dacus released her new album Home Video today. Stream the album here! Out singer Betta Lemme released the song “Girls” today, a coming out anthem for pride month. Listen here. Mila Jam released a new song and video “Too High” last week. Listen to the song here and watch the video below!
9) Out singer Willow announced her upcoming album Lately I Feel EVERYTHING, to be released on July 16. She also released a single today, “Lipstick.” Listen to the single here and pre-order the album here. Out singer Ryland James released his single “3 Purple Hearts,” about falling in love with his boyfriend. Listen to the single here. Out singer Yen Strange released her new single “Donnie Darko” on Wednesday. Listen to the song here and watch the music video below!
10) The winners for the third annual Critics Choice Real TV Awards were announced on Monday. RuPaul’s Drag Race took home the trophy for Best Competition Series, in a tie with The Great British Baking show, as well as Best Ensemble Cast in an Unscripted Series. Deaf U won in Best Unstructured Series and Queer Eye in Best Lifestyle: Fashion/Beauty Show. See all the winners here.