Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBTQ-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Hulu has released first look photos of Fire Island, set in the iconic Fire Island Pines. The upcoming unapologetic, modern day queer rom-com is inspired by Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” and stars out actors Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Conrad Ricamora, Matt Rogers, Margaret Cho, and more. The story centers around two best friends who set out to have a legendary week-long summer vacation with the help of cheap rosé and a cadre of eclectic friends.
— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) March 4, 2022
2) Queer indie cinema classic and winner of the Prix de la Jeunesse at the 1987 Cannes Film Festival, I’ve Heard the Mermaids Singing, opens today in New York City for its US theatrical release. The whimsical film follows amateur photographer Polly (Sheila McCarthy) as she lands a temp job at a Toronto art gallery run by elegant and sophisticated painter Gabrielle (Paule Baillargeon). Polly is impressed with Gabrielle’s paintings, but as Polly gets to know Gabrielle’s lover, Mary (Ann-Marie MacDonald), and becomes entangled in their lives, she realizes that Gabrielle isn’t exactly who she appears to be.
3) Netflix has announced that the second season of Russian Doll will premiere on April 20. Set four years after Nadia (Natasha Lyonne) and Alan (out actor Charlie Barnett) escaped mortality’s time loop together, this season finds them delving deeper into their pasts through an unexpected time portal located in one of Manhattan’s most notorious locations. At first, they experience this as an ever-expanding, era-spanning, intergenerational adventure, but they soon discover this extraordinary event might be more than they bargained for and, together, must search for a way out. Greta Lee will return as Nadia’s queer best friend Maxine. In other TV news, Black entertainment channel BET UK has unveiled new five originals including Moments That Shaped: Queer Black Britain, narrated by out British comedian Gina Yashere.
4) Out trans actor Tyler DiChiara has joined the cast for The CW’s DC pilot Gotham Knights. In the aftermath of Bruce Wayne’s murder, his rebellious adopted son forges an unlikely alliance with the children of Batman’s enemies when they are all framed for killing the Caped Crusader and must fight to clear their names. However, hope comes from the most unexpected of places as this team of mismatched fugitives will become its next generation of saviors known as the Gotham Knights. DiChiara will portray Cullen Row. After years of hiding his true self from an abusive parent, the transgender teen is tired of being polite and agreeable. Clever and adept at reading human nature, Cullen is ready to fight his own battles. Fallon Smythe will play his sister, Harper Row. Described as streetwise, acerbic and often underestimated, the blue-haired bisexual is a gifted engineer who can fix anything. But what Harper wants most of all is to repair the broken lives of her and her brother, the only person she trusts.
5) Out actress Jameela Jamil has joined the cast for Peacock’s Pitch Perfect TV spinoff. The show will follow Bumper Allen (Adam Devine), several years after viewers saw him in the films, as he moves to Germany to revive his music career when one of his songs becomes big in Berlin. Jamil will play Gisela, a bombastic and flashy up-and-coming German pop star who is Piëter Krämer’s (Flula Borg) ex-girlfriend and Bumper’s main rival at the German Unity Day concert. Gisela will stop at nothing to beat him to stardom.
6) Out bisexual actress Lilly Singh has been set to star in the upcoming comedy series The Muppets Mayhem. The series will follow The Electric Mayhem Band as they go on an epic musical journey to finally record their first studio album. Singh will play the (human) lead role of Nora, a driven junior A&R executive tasked with managing and wrangling the mayhem that is The Electric Mayhem Band. With the help of Nora, the old-school Muppet band comes face to face with the current-day music scene as they try to finally go platinum.
7) Chapter two of Orville Peck’s Bronco was released today, along with the music video for “The Curse of the Blackened Eyey.” He also released the music video for single “Daytona Sand” last week(watch it here)! In other music news, Maidin’s single “Celestial Body,” REYNA’s single “you could at least say goodbye,” and TAYLOR ALXNDR’s album 1993 are all out today.
8) Sofi Tukker’s music video for their single “Forgive Me,” off their upcoming album WET TENNIS, is out now. Watch it below! La Neve’s music video for their upcoming album’s title track “History Solved” is also out today. (watch it here!).
9) This year’s Film Independent Spirit Awards winners include GLAAD Media Award nominated film Shiva Baby, which won the John Cassavetes Award, and TV series Reservation Dogs, which won Best New Scripted Series and Best Ensemble Cast in a New Scripted Series. Additionally, this year’s IDA Awards winners include GLAAD Media Award nominees FLEE, and Independent Lens. Other winners include My Love: Six Stories of True Love, out director Roger Ross (The Career Achievement Award), and out journalist Ronan Farrow (Truth to Power Award). In other awards season news, this year’s Art Director’s Guild Awards winners include What We Do in the Shadows and Loki.
JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD
— Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) March 6, 2022