- LIVE UPDATES: The Death of Nex Benedict and Community Response in Greater Oklahoma
- Read The Stories Of Nex Benedict As Told By Their Chosen Family, Friends and Allies at Owasso Vigil
- Election 2024: Michigan Fact Sheet
- ACLU of Alabama and The Knights & Orchids Society Celebrate Black Trans Futures with New Cohort
- Colman Domingo, Lily Gladstone, George C. Wolfe, Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor, Sterling K. Brown, Nick Offerman Champion Unity And LGBTQ Representation In Awards Season Speeches
- “All of Us Strangers,” Lily Gladstone, and Colman Domingo Win Big at the 15th Annual Dorian Film Awards
- Major Celebrities, Creators and Notable Voices Speak Out on the Death of Nex Benedict
- In Memory of Nex
Choose from the complete list of GLAAD Accountability Profiles:
- Updated: April 21, 2023
—Wrote in opposition to U.K. legislation that would ease the process of changing one’s legal gender by, in part, removing the requirement of a medical diagnosis from two separate doctors. Lewis wrote, “What the government proposes is a radical rewriting of our understanding of identity: now it’s a question of an internal essence—a soul, if you will. Being a woman or a man is now entirely in your head.” Lewis also asked, “In this climate, who would challenge someone with a beard exposing their penis in a women’s changing room?”
—Described the transgender rights movement as “the imperial overreach of a handful of trans activists, in trying to rewrite widely accepted ideas about gender by stealth,” and added that activism “has done nothing to improve the lives of trans people.” In the same piece, Lewis claimed victimhood over being described as a TERF.
—Was removed as a voice actor from the Ubisoft game Watch Dogs: Legion for offensive remarks about gender identity.
—Disparaged former fans of J.K. Rowling who spoke out against her remarks about transgender women: “Fans are discovering that someone they once treated as omniscient, someone they loved with a ferocious, possessive, childish love, is an entirely different person, with different values from their own.” The Mugglenet fan site had noted: “As this fandom enters its third decade, J.K. Rowling has chosen this time to loudly pronounce harmful and disproven beliefs about what it means to be a transgender person… Our stance is firm: Transgender women are women. Transgender men are men. Nonbinary people are nonbinary. Intersex people exist and should not be forced to live in the binary. We stand with Harry Potter fans in these communities, and while we don’t condone the mistreatment JKR has received for airing her opinions about transgender people, we must reject her beliefs.” Lewis wrote in the article: “It is understandable that transgender people feel weary and harassed; their identities and their bodies have been conscripted into a culture war. Many feminists who support Rowling feel the same.” At least 44 transgender people were killed in the U.S. in 2020.
The GLAAD Accountability Project catalogs anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and discriminatory actions of politicians, commentators, organization heads, religious leaders, and legal figures, who have used their platforms, influence and power to spread misinformation and harm LGBTQ people.